Saturday, May 3, 2008

Evil, Thy Name Is Post Office

My feet are feeling much better today and I was confident that a different pair of shoes Toby mailed to me would arrive today since they only had a few hundred miles to travel and 2-3 days to do it. However, they didn't arrive today. That means that I have to take 2 more complete zero-mile days to wait for them. This is the exact reason why I hoped to distance myself from relying on the postal system this time around. I could have had them forwarded to the next town up the line but had I walked out in the running shoes I'm now wearing my feet would have been torn up again in no time and this past day of rest would have been for naught. So here I am in Warner Springs waiting til Monday morning. On a bright note - this is a really nice place to spend some time - there's an Olympic sized pool that is fed by a hot spring and it's a real treat to soak in after the sun goes down and the air is cool. And though my feet are much better than when I limped into this place they aren't 100% and will benefit from the extra time off. It's hard to hike such a short distance and then have to take this much time off so soon.

On another good note, it sounds like the fire is now under control and the trail may be open by the time I get to the effected area which means no detour and no road walk. I won't have to miss any part of the trail yet.

No comments: