Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Lake Effect Snow in NY

I'm currently back in NH for 2 weeks. It was one hell of a drive up here. I got a good start and everything was going just peachy til I got to New York. Keep in mind that I actually don't (heart) NY. It's quite the opposite. If you take all the other tolls I paid in other states and times that by three you get the the amount of toll for NY alone. In addition, the gas prices are closer to those of California than they are to surrounding states. Then the highway department adds insult to injury by posting signs that say "lower fuel prices in effect". And of course NY goes on forever and ever when driving west to east. I don't (heart) NY. I don't (heart) it one bit.

So as I got to NY the snow started coming down. I didn't mind. However, at times the snow was getting so bad visibility was nil. At it's worst I was unable to leave the interstate even though I wanted to because I was unable to see the exits. One particular gust of wind foiled me by completely blinding me for 4 seconds. I was only going slowly, but didn't dare come to a full and complete stop lest someone come along and collide into the back of me. Just as the snow cleared enough to see, I was heading toward the banking on the right shoulder.

I stuck myself, but not bad. The snow was soft and given time I could have dug out, but I was worried about someone following my hazards and plowing into me. So when I tow truck came along and offered to pull me out, I accepted. Though I was barely off the road and was "towed" all of 6 feet the price tag came to $100. Ouch.

New York continues to be no friend of mine.

No comments: