Monday, June 9, 2008

Mile 702 Kennedy Meadows

I'm not dead yet. I'm at mile 702 at a remote place called Kennedy Meadows. The only thing here (besides a meadow) is a small general store. However, it has a special significance to hikers. It marks the end of the southern desert section and the beginning of the high mountains. Everything changes at this point. We go from being always concerned about where to find the next water to being concerned about how do we cross the rivers safely without being swept away. Before any of you panic, I've crossed every one of them before and haven't been swept away yet. Starting now we also will have to face steep snow fields and and high altitude. The highest place on the PCT at 13,000+ feet is a few days away.

The immediate concern is yet another forest fire. This on is only a few miles from here. There's no danger of it coming this way, but it has closed another section of trail that we have to get around.

My feet are doing well. In fact I feel pretty good over all. I'm traveling with a small group of people and we're having a good time. They are all entertaining in their own ways.

I'm taking a zero mile day today and another tomorrow. After that I'll be on the move again. I look forward to taking lots of great photos. This next section is going to be spectacular.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

good to know you're not dead...yet.

Unknown said...

Hey I'm a friend of your dad's, he's hoping your still alive. I enjoyed viewing your photos, great creative eye. I'm a nikon shooter too. Hope your having a safe adventure. Gary