Thursday, June 26, 2008

Mile 906

It seems like it's been a very long time since I've had access to the Internet. I've been up in the high Sierras for a while now. It's been eventful and beautiful. I took a side trip up Mt. Whitney (14,490 ft), the highest point in the 48. The following day I went over Forester Pass at 13,000+ feet which is the highest point on the actual PCT. I've crossed at least one mountain pass each day, and sometimes more. There has been snow I've had to cross - sometimes miles at a time and sometimes just a hundred yards. There's been many water crossings - sometimes I can rock hop and keep the feet dry; other times I've waded across and soaked the feet. And at last it seems that the mosquitoes are here. They have been not so bad in some spots and truly frightening in others. I think they will be worst of all in Yosemite which I'll face in a few days. I don't know that I'll have the chance to slow down enough to take any photos in Yosemite because I'll be running for my sanity from the mosquitoes but I hope for a break here and there. I've been getting some good photos of the spectacular scenery in the Sierras so far.

The trip is going well, and I'm in good spirits. I'm traveling with small group of hikers that are a lot of fun. At the moment I'm in Mammoth, CA. It's good sized town with everything I might need for resupply.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very glad to see you're still around. I was getting pretty worried.

Too bad for the lack-o-internet access. It would be cool to see on a google map, or something, where you're at.

Speaking of which, I'm just trying to follow along....Mammoth, Ca or Mammoth Lakes? Mammoth, CA is in far northern Cali near the oregon border but your other blog says you'll be into yosemite soon. So I'm thinkin you're in Mammoth Lakes Area.

Keep us updated!

skooter (from tribe)

Anonymous said...

Awesome! It sounds like you're making some good time. Enjoy!