Thursday, July 10, 2008

From South Lake Tahoe

The last time I had access to the Internet was also the last time I had the chance to shower or do laundry. Check the last post to see just how long that was. I think this makes an ALL TIME record for me for being dirty even on other thru-hikes. I got into South Lake Tahoe last night and was finally able to get clean. In desperation I hiked 37 miles in a day and got to a road crossing early enough to still hitch into town. I was pretty tired afterward, but it was all worth it.

Since I last wrote I have faced the worst of the mosquitoes on the trail so far. All in all it was not as bad as the hike in '04, but that is by no means to say the bugs weren't still horrible. I have been trying not to use DEET. But one morning I would have happily applied it with great zeal if only I didn't have to stop and pull it out of my pack. I hustled for 7 miles that morning before I could find a place with enough breeze to even stop. To stop for more than a heartbeat meant being swarmed by a cloud thick enough that it sounded like the mosquitoes were harmonizing. But the worst of it is behind me now.

That's it in a nutshell. My time at this library is about up. More when it happens. Oh yeah....the scenery has been spectacular, but it almost always is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very cool. Glad you finally found a place to get clean. I know how uncomfortable that can be. Especially with the high temperatures you've been facing.

Enjoy a good long bath if you can.

Keep the updates coming!