Sunday, December 3, 2006

Speaking of Cold

It is 48F in the apartment right now. It may be colder by a bit but 48 is as low as the thermostat reads. Keeping it this cold is out of choice. 30 years ago Pres. Carter urged everyone to put on more layers before turning up the heat. Now three decades later the world has less oil than ever before, though our ability to find it has improved.
However, the global consequences of turning up the heat is only part of the equation here. The biggest reason is that we're both too cheap to use heat. Putting on more clothes seems to be a slippery slope, for if an extra shirt is good, but you are still cold, why not a sweater on top of that. If still cold, how about a hat?
Sarah and I have both lived outdoors for months at a time on the trails and been in cold temperatures for prolonged periods. So I tell myself that this is nothing new. In addition, I suppose there is a bit of a competitive feeling here where I won't be the first one to cave and turn up the heat.
The safety net is that the heat will soon kick on automatically if it gets much colder. We don't need to worry about frozen pipes.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

this competition reminds me of one that you had with a former g/f involving a very cold car ride.

Mabel Amber said...

Hello,

My appartment is unheated (temporarily on the dole)all winter. The reason that I am still alive is my surrounding neighbours all turning on their heating full blast and it sort of seeps through the concrete. Makes you hardy though. I like your photos. Mabel