Saturday, March 8, 2008

Fully Loaded and Half Cocked


I have finally found the right backpack for the next long-distance hike. I loaded it with every bit of gear I need to make sure it would actually all fit.
Here's the stats:
Base weight: about 21 pounds
With food and water: about 37 pounds
I'm including 2 quarts of water in this measurement, but there will be many sections where I carry twice that amount or more.
At present, the loaded weight is about one quarter of my body weight which is a reasonable amount to carry. As I loose weight the pack weight will creep up to about one third my weight which as a rule of thumb is about the most one should carry. I'm not quite sure how losing fat around my waist means that I should carry less in my pack, but that's the rule of thumb.

No comments: