Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Food For Thought


One thing I learned from my last hike is that there's more places to buy food along the trail than I originally thought. Sarah had much greater flexibility in her resupply than I did because I was locked into going to certain places to pick up the food I mailed.
That being said, there are certain places where mailing oneself food is still a necessity. This time I have only 9 mail drops spaced out over the entire trail. The total number of days that I'm supplying with mail comes to about 40.
Here's some stats on what I'll carry and consume in that 40 days.
Pop Tarts - 160 which total 21 pounds
Potato Chips - 9 bags @ 6.5 pounds
Peanut Butter - 20.25 pounds total
M&M's - 9 bags @ 12 pounds total
Energy bars - 75 @ 15 pounds total
Lipton Rice meals - 40 @ 11.25 pounds total
Cheddar Crackers - 60 packs of 4 @ 7.9 pounds total
Jerky - 9 bags @ 2.3 pounds total
This total doesn't include other miscellaneous items - some candy bars, trail mix, and granola type bars. The total weight comes to 96.2 pounds. Again, I'll be splitting this up in 9 different packages along the trip.
The total calories for this 40 days comes to 205,765 or 5,144 per day.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

looks like a lot of high fructose corn syrup to me.

too obtuse said...

Not to mention the overabundance of partially hydrogenated oil!