Friday, March 14, 2008

Happily Unemployed

I up and quit my job. I was going to be leaving in a week and a half anyhow, but I wanted the extra time off. I won't be looking at another paycheck for 6 months. Fortunately I still have my tax return in my future.

Now I have to focus full time on taking care of all the details around planning my hike. Planning is not my forte, and details are gremlins to me. I have to think not just about the hike - where to send food and maps, but also think about other things like registering the VW now because the official time to register it will be while I'm still on the trail.

I recall the natural high I'd get when I was in grade school and I'd get out the last day for summer vacation. That trend carried right up through college when I was in my early 20's. It's a pattern that's hard to imagine doing without later in life. The 1-2 weeks of vacation most jobs offer is really only a tease. It's never enough for me.

I've been asked when I leave. I don't have a hard date set. I'll be heading out when I get everything done. I know that I'll be starting the trail on April 24. I'll be spending time with friends as I make my way to the Left Coast.

1 comment:

German Tourist said...

I love the expression "happily unemployed" and I am in the exact same state of life.
I was fired from my job and could not believe my luck when I heard the news.
The first time I was fired I thruhiked the PCT and got addicted to long distance hiking.
Last year I was fired again and decided to go on a round the world trip.
So contrary to general belief being unemployed can be a very happy state of life... you just have to make something out of it.
Good luck for you on the PCT!
GT