Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Crossing Nevada

I still had a long way to go to get to California. I had a hundred plus miles of Utah and 400 miles of Nevada just to get to California. I was in no hurry though and with warmer temps the drive was fairly pleasant.

I left the radio on "scan" hoping to find a good radio station. Last year the dust of Burning Man killed my CD player so I've been at the mercy of the air waves. Unfortunately in the unpopulated area of Nevada there's mostly religious and country stations if there's any reception at all. I left the radio on scan for hours listening to just three seconds of each radio station. It became background noise. I'd climb to the top of a mountain pass, going from just 2 stations to maybe 5 or 10! only to drop on the other side and lose them all.

I'm used to crossing Nevada since I've done it annually for the past seven years on my way to Burning Man. It was strange to get to the turn-off I'd normally take but continue on I-80 towards Reno instead. The turn-off is in a tiny town called Fernley. Fernley actually made it to the national news last year because of a flood which swamped the town.

I crossed over into California and made it past Truckee before I stopped for the night at a rest stop at the top of a mountain pass.

No comments: