Wednesday, April 2, 2008

From The Road

I made it 650 miles on my first day out. That may not sound like much, but imagine doing that at 50 mph (or less average). It took a while. I drove til just past midnight. For those of you that know VW's you know that the bus has no heat and it was down to about 48 after dark. I slept in the bus at a truck stop. It was upper 30's when I woke. I slept toasty warm though.

I haven't made time to store things throughout the bus, so all that food I mentioned in a previous post is piled in the way. I'll take care of that soon by tucking it in all the storage places built in the bus.

I'm visiting a friend, Summers, her husband Alan, and her newborn Ellie in Akron, OH. I met Summers on the AT in '98 my second night on the trail. Alan teaches photography at an academy and it's been great talking with him. He's been encouraging and has given me some great advice about how to find more info on photography. I learned that there's places on-line that put together professional looking hard cover books of photos. I'm looking forward to making one of these once I get done hiking.

I'll be back on the road heading west again tomorrow. I'll either swing down to Louisville, or head more toward Colorado from here.

No comments: