Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Yuba City

When I woke on the mountain pass I noticed a ski lift across the highway from me. It wasn't visible at night when I'd parked. I don't know the elevation where I stayed but I seemed to go down in elevation rather steeply for many many miles. Crossing Utah and Nevada it had warmed up considerably, but those are dry desert states without much vegetation. When I dropped in elevation out of the California mountains I seemed to drop suddenly into Spring time. The trees were full of vibrant green leaves, and the roadsides were alive with large patches of wild flowers.

I made my way to my friend's house in Yuba City just north of Sacramento. Toby and her husband, Allen, have been kind enough to put me up while my start date approaches. Since I got here the day before yesterday I've been taking care of still more details involving this trip - checking e-mail, checking finances, buying last minute equipment, and trying to figure out transportation down to the start of the PCT.

No comments: