Monday, April 21, 2008

Leaving Yuba City

I've been in Yuba City, CA for about a week now, staying with Toby and her husband, Allen. They have been super about letting me crash here. I didn't plan on staying in one spot for so long - thinking that I'd be out seeing other people, but it didnt' work out that way. I've enjoyed the time I've had here though, and in the end it was a good thing that I had this time to tie up some things. It seems that I still had some details here and there to take care of before I begin hiking. Now it's down to sink or swim. I'm leaving my bus here and taking public transportation down to the southern end of the state. I'm bringing only my backpack from this point on.

Toby and Allen have been wonderful hosts. They made me feel right at home and I gave me open access to the internet which has proved invaluable on many occasions. We've went on a hike, ate great food (Toby is a wonderful cook and has done her level best to fatten me up for the trail), and watched movies. Allen donated a MP3 player so I'll have music on the trail. It's been a good time, and I've been able to get things done without feeling pressured by time restraints.

There's one fly in the ointment which is that I have another electrical problem in the bus. This one isn't as easy to fix as the last. The drivers side tail light is out. I tried all that I knew how to fix it. I hoped it was a simple dirty or loose connection that would take 60 seconds to fix, but I was wrong. I spent the best part of the day eliminating some possiblities, and in the end it's still not working. I no longer have time to work on it so it will have to wait til August or later.

This afternoon Toby and Allen are dropping me off in Sacramento where I'll have dinner with a Trail friend from my original trek 10 years ago, Reruns and his wife, Sara. Tomorrow I'll be taking a train further south and will be actually on the trail Thursday.

No comments: